New Account in Thunderbird
I am trying to re-establish one of my email accounts in Thunderbird using a new OS (fresh install for both OS and Thunderbird). Auto settings work just fine until it gets to verifying my password where it fails. This is a password that was used for a previous account in Thunderbird on my previous OS where it worked without issue. I can go to my provider and log in using this password without issue. I have not yet tried changing the password as I can't rationalize why that should matter. Actually, I logged onto this site using that password. So, I know it works.
All Replies (4)
You didn't tell us much, except that your password works online. Several email providers now require unique passwords when their services are accessed from email clients. If yours is one of those, you may need a special password when accessing from the new PC. An example is Gmail. Tell us more about your account and someone here may have more information.
OK. All I have done differently is switch to a different Linux distro. I re-installed Thunderbird and tried to re-establish my 3 accounts using a saved profile. The other two worked fine. Thunderbird found the setup for the Comcast account in it's database OK, but could not verify the password. Within my Comcast account, there is a setting to allow email clients (they mention Thunderbird) to access my email. As nearly as I can tell, there are no other requirements for special passwords, keys, or other settings. None were required when I was using the same setup in the previous distro. The first time I set up Thunderbird using the Comcast account several years ago, Thunderbird went through the auto setup without a hitch (same password). I'm glad to provide any other information you need. Thanks
Follow-up: The first thing I did this morning was check my email in Thunderbird and there appeared to be no change. The other two accounts had downloaded new mail. Comcast had not. So, I wrote the above. After closing, I went back to Thunderbird and found that all of the Comcast mail had been downloaded and it appears to be working as it should. It took from sometime yesterday until this morning to fix itself. Thanks for answering, but I guess I'm OK now.
Modified by bilyo41
Miracles happen... :) I'm glad all is okay.
Thanks again. But I don't attribute it to a miracle. As I have had this happen before with other accounts with possible complicating issues, I think this is a technical issue that Thunderbird maintainers should correct. Even a notification would be acceptable if there was/is a good reason for it to take a long time for the initial download. In this case, I don't see a good reason for the system to fail in verifying a legitimate functioning password. Thanks.