Download files get corrupted name & extension
Hello, i am IT admin / dev for a company running FF currently v68.2.0esr 32-bit on approx. 1000 PCs, and we have a problem with downloading files from on-premises hosting portal (Sysaid). File names get corrupted on download (but this doesn't happen in Safari, Edge or IE as far as i tested) so i thought i should ask here because i want my company to stay with FF as everything else works fine (Java web extensions for Oracle services, security, ease-of-use, translations etc....). So, file named:
Gets downloaded as:
... and of course Windows doesn't know what to do with it.. I can rename it, and give it proper extension then i can open it, so contents are not corrupted. If i download it multiple times, name stays the same but gives (1), then (2) then... at the end of the string.
Any help is greatly appreciated as switching to another browser is not really an easy task here.. Thanks!
All Replies (12)
This sounds like either a Firefox bug.
Can you open an issue at https://webcompat.com/ and our webcompat team will take a look?
Hey, thanks for replying! Unfortunately i cannot open a bug there because the portal in question is on-premises behind a firewall, and it isn't in DMZ, so without VPN it's not available, i won't be able to change that due to security concerns. Sysaid doesn't seem to provide the portal online anywhere.. Can i do some tests myself, or send some debug report somewhere or maybe even give someone remote access via my PC (so i can supervise) to check it out as is?
Regards, Matic Ribič!
Sure. First thing I would do is try a user agent switcher and change it to Chrome:
That will tell us if it is a problem with the website sending the wrong info to Firefox or not.
Once we know that answer, I'll get the webcompat team involved (and possibly reach out to SysAid)
OK, i ran it as Chrome 83.0.4086.0 and it works much better (it can't decode čšž letters i guess, but that's fine for now), anyhow see attached photo. You were right from the start, nice! ;) Does this mean i am done here, or is there something else i can do about it? I can contact SysAid if it helps in any way..
I think you should report the bug to SysAid. They seem to definitely be generating different filenames for Firefox.
You can direct them to me if you need to - mkaply at mozilla.com.
Does the letter decoding problem happen on Chrome too?
Yeah kind of, but not exactly.. It's similar to edge i think Ok, i will contact them also!
Oh, we are also currently running the portal on http (internally only), could maybe this be the issue here? Provided photo from edge..
No, I don't think it's an http/https issue. For some reason they aren't doing a urldecode on the filename when the send it to Firefox.
Ok, i contacted them, they know about the issue i guess, and will fix it in an update... Sorry for wasting your time here, and thanks again for all your help! Best regards, Matic Ribič!
Absolutely not a waste of time. We all learned something :)
Note that the name is encoded as base64:
- atob("VXZvel9iYXphX3ZfT1JBUEFDS196YV9BbWVyaWtvXzIwLjAyLjIwMjBfLV9SUDBfVW5pb3Jfa29kZS54bHN4") => Uvoz_baza_v_ORAPACK_za_Ameriko_20.02.2020_-_RP0_Unior_kode.xlsx
You are right, looks like someone forgot to call atob at some point somewhere... If i had docs and/or better understanding of the undelying code, i could try fixing the issue myself.. It's running locally on our servers anyways..
..But then again we pay support for the product and i already passed this questions URL to them, so i think i did more than enough here.. As did you both!
We will wait for the update, in the meantime we manualy rename the files after download.. Thanks for all the help from you guys! Keep up the good work, it means alot to people like me! You just gave us another reason to love Mozilla products even more! ;)
Regards, Matic Ribič!