This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Firefox crashes when I open a new tab in the browser.
I use Firefox as my default browser; gmail for email and as my home page; Windows 7 Home Premium as my operating system. For the last few days (i.e. starting around May 1, 2016), Firefox crashes almost every time I open a new tab in the browser. I have tried to fix this by refreshing Firefox; simplifying my gmail and google account settings; and by deleting any recently added programs or updates. It is still happening. What can I do to fix this?
All Replies (1)
If you have submitted crash reports then please post the IDs of one or more recent crash reports that start with "bp-".
You can find the report ID of recent crash reports on the "Help > Troubleshooting Information" page (about:support).
- click the "All Crash Reports" button on this page to open the about:crashes page and see all crash reports.
Alternatively you can open about:crashes via the location/address bar.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions ("3-bar" menu button or Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem.
- Switch to the DEFAULT theme: "3-bar" menu button or Tools > Add-ons > Appearance
- Do NOT click the "Refresh Firefox" button on the Safe Mode start window
Do a malware check with several malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
Please scan with all programs because each program detects different malware. All these programs have free versions.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner:
- Windows Defender:
- Spybot Search & Destroy:
- Kasperky Free Security Scan:
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller:
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked