Mac laptop screen broken. Need to move Firefox to new device with all my logins
My 11 Year old MacBook Pro's screen no longer works. I have access to the drive via thunderbolt cable. How do I move all my bookmarks, logins, and passwords from the old drive to the new laptop? Thank you, David
All Replies (5)
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data.
Firefox uses two locations for the Firefox profile folder. Location used for the main profile that keeps your personal data (Root Directory on about:profiles).
- ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile>
In Mac OS X v10.7 and later, the "~/Library" folder in the Home directory is a hidden folder.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins;32+) and key4.db (decryption key;58+) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
key3.db support ended in 73+; to use key3.db in 58-72, make sure to remove key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)
i got my solution, thanks
This has NOT solved my problem. I worked with the support documents for over 2 hours last night and could NOT resolve the issues. I'm computer literate and I couldn't make sense of the steps. Either files weren't where they were supposed to be or I had no way to access them. The support documentation sent me off in 3 different directions. This has to have happened to other people and there should be a nice step by step way of recovering the files. Chrome has it, Safari has it, and I can't believe FireFox can't come up with a direct set of directions for doing this. I always thought FireFox was the better product. Please, someone out there, help!!!! Thank you, David
How about plugging in a external monitor? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVqbjnt4GI
Modified by jonzn4SUSE
Then use Sync to copy your data to the new device. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/sync-custom-preferences https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-set-sync-my-computer https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-choose-what-information-sync-firefox