I have an issue thats been plaguing me so far for a month in Firefox; after Firefox has been in use for quite awhile (open for many days with hundreds of pages throughout… (read more)
I have an issue thats been plaguing me so far for a month in Firefox; after Firefox has been in use for quite awhile (open for many days with hundreds of pages throughout those days being opened and closed) it never releases the RAM it has used, ive seen it go from being initially around 400MB at start in the first 30 minutes of being opened then after an hour it goes to around 600MB-900MB, that number is somewhat normal for me i guess (in the days of using Firefox 4 id get that usage alot on my old netbook) and then it goes to the point of insanity at random and uses a whole 2GB and once its done that its almost unusably slow and at times must be killed with the system's Task Manager.
This isnt normal. Especially because this happens when i have nothing but Firefox's homepage opened and everything else closed. Its as if all the content on the pages ive visited gets hoarded by Firefox over time and it never gets released, its almost as if Firefox is like how Windows 98 was if you kept it running for days without shutting it down.
Ive done practically everything to try and remedy this as was suggested by the kind helpful people in the linked thread.
- Ive disabled all addons i dont need
- Ive gotten rid of addons i dont need
- Ive started a completely new Firefox profile and in it use nothing but the addons i need for my day to day browsing (so nothing else beyond what i need is enabled or in Firefox in the first place)
- Ive updated flash player and most of the other plugins firefox lists
- Ive updated all of my computer's drivers and updates from Windows Update
- Ive cleared the cache and cookies and persistent data repeatedly to try and empty Firefox's used RAM
- Ive used about:memory's "reduce memory usage" option to clear out Firefox's RAM but it did nothing, if anything at times it made it go up a few megabytes or two
- As suggested i disabled 3 "jetpack" addons that i needed because they supposedly were the cause of this
- Ive enabled addons one by one to see which is the problematic one, in each time that i did that when i found the culprit and disabled the addon that i thought was the one at fault the problem would only return in a matter of time making all that effort go down the drain
- Did a crapton of virus scans
- Ive read most of Firefox's help articles on fixing it, ive done it all
- A portable install of Firefox runs just perfect, and even a fresh new profile without a single addon is perfect, its when i need addons the problems arise.
- I have run memtest, memtest86, and even the memtest that comes with Windows, all show nothing is wrong with my machine
Ever since i created a new profile my previous problem of Firefox's context menu being as slow as molasses is gone, but the rest lingers on still (albeit less i admit).
So far Im left with two seemingly related problems in forefox, in short: Firefox's RAM usage at random stays very high even if there is nothing but one tab open, heck there could only be the homepage of Firefox open and itd still do that even if i leave it like that for hours without touching it. Heres an example from earlier today https://app.box.com/s/sc7xpmsjnmf18q3rx12t
And heres after i used about:memory's reduce memory usage command https://app.box.com/s/whbay8b4l2z89grdphzd
And if Firefox is not doing that, then i get the other problem of the CPU usage having a spike every so often that freezes up Firefox for a while, when it does that Window's Task Manager lists Firefox as using around 10% CPU usage, which is alot considering ive never seen Firefox use more than 5% at worst before. It even at times simply stays like that while its idle using that CPU figure. I dont have a screenshot at the moment of Firefox at it since its not doing it but heres a screenshot of another process doing it http://vvcap.net/db/aSXmdVEsoZ-9tQj4TnH6.htp
At this point i dont know what to do anymore to be honest, i love Firefox and its addons, its what makes it unique, without them i just cant browse, i could just as well use IE (ew). Part of the reason i got a beefy computer was so that i could use Firefox instead of Opera without having to worry about its infamous memory usage (at the time i recall it being a memory hog it was in the days of Firefox 4 -14, after i used Firefox 21 things had dramatically improved since) Ive gone down to using nothing but what i ONLY need for daily browsing in the new profile and kept all other kinds of use of Firefox's addons strictly to usage inside a virtual machine (VMWare to be preice). But still the problem lingers on. Im sorry that this is long, but i just want to be detailed as possible so that this can be solved
Finally, my specs; as i have no idea if the attached troubleshooting contains it or not.
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.00GHz (with Turbo Boost 2.9GHz) Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
Radeon HD 6770M (HP) (theres integrated graphics too i guess)
112GB ATA KINGSTON SH103S3 SCSI Disk Device (the SSD i have Firefox installed on)