This thread was closed and archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Google Translate stopped working in Firefox 23.0.1.
I can type into the translate panel, but when I push the translate button, nothing happens.
Work again for me tooRead this answer in context 👍 0
All Replies (20)
You can try basic steps like these in case of issues with web pages:
Reload web page(s) and bypass the cache to refresh possibly outdated or corrupted files.
- Hold down the Shift key and left-click the Reload button
- Press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
- Press "Command + Shift + R" (Mac)
Clear the cache and the cookies from websites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window.
None of these worked. I still have the same problem.
Thanks for trying.
Did you make sure to select the correct source and target language?
Auto-detect may not work for some languages.
Is instant translation turned on or off?
I've been using google translation for years with languages selected in both the "to" and "from" sides with no problems until today. I have instant translation turned off and never have used it.
I have no problem with this in Internet Explorer or Chrome, but I don't want to switch browsers from Firefox.
Modified by stu2929
I want to add that I can not uninstall Firefox (I wanted to uninstall and reinstall).
When I try to uninstall, the uninstaller hangs infinitely and won't complete. I have to end the process eventually.
So something is wrong somewhere with firefox suddenly as everything worked fine yesterday.
Thanks for your help.
The Translate button doesn't seem to work in Firefox, but instant translation works for me.
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps:
Note: You might want to print these steps or view them in another browser.
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu).
- Delete the Firefox installation folder, which is located in one of these locations, by default:
- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Mac: Delete Firefox from the Applications folder.
- Linux: If you installed Firefox with the distro-based package manager, you should use the same way to uninstall it - see Install Firefox on Linux. If you downloaded and installed the binary package from the Firefox download page, simply remove the folder firefox in your home directory.
- Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Please report back to see if this helped you!
Why did the translate button suddenly stop working in Firefox?
That's exactly my question!
I don't know actually. I have a niggling feeling that it might be addon incompatibility, however I am unsure of that. However, the symptom of the uninstall hanging does sound like something that a clean reinstall would solve. Hope this helps! cyborg4
I did the clean reinstall, but it didn't help. I have exactly the same behavior.
The other person on this thread, "cor-el" also says that the translation button doesn't work for them.
So something is going on! I've used this without problem for years on firefox.
Thanks for your tries at helping!!
Instant translation doesn't work for me.
If the translation button doesn't work for you, then something must be wrong somewhere with Firefox.
Google sometimes conducts experiments with a limited set of users, so the fact that I can't replicate this doesn't mean it can be easily solved for you...
For me, the instant translation of phrases is so fast I cannot click the Translate button before the translation is returned. The Translate button does work for starting a URL translation. I wasn't logged in while testing.
I have no problem with translation in Internet Explorer nor in Chrome, so it is a Firefox problem, not a Google problem.
I've used Firefox for years and really need translation, so would hate to have to switch to a new browser.
Thanks for your help.
By the way, the uninstaller still hangs, even after the clean reinstall.
Have you considered trying another translation addon?
This just happened today after years of no problem on Firefox. Google translate works for me on Internet Explorer and on Chrome, but I don't want to switch browsers.
Do you have suggestions for other translation addons?
I have the same issue since i have update firefox, that really annoying but the "instant translation" work, only the button dont work. That work well in Chrome so its a Firefox issue.
If you enable instant translate then it should work. Only the Translate button doesn't seem to work in Firefox.