This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
I can't type anything into a tab
When I start Firefox, I try to type a url into the tab, but I can't type anything there.
All Replies (4)
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Not certain what the problem is, but if you are new to Firefox maybe you have not yet discovered that you may type into:
- the address bar (also called the awesome bar)
- the search bar
- the search line on the default homepage
Note you may need to actually set the navigation bar to display, or come out of full screen view.
- Also see http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/central/
- Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars
Please try to explain what you are trying to do, what happens, and what you expect to happen.
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.
(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)
- You can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- Or open the Help menu and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.
Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that.
To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.
What version of Firefox are you using?
Try to open a new window to see if that gives you a working location bar.
Some have reported that pressing F9+Windows one or more times has worked to fix issues with the keyboard not working.