Ad blocker add ins break my firefox
Hi, current version is 100.0.2. Running on Win 10 (10.0.19044 build 19044). Have refreshed Firefox and also tried a clean install - problem still exists. Have done a scan using HouseCall - no gremlins found. For the last few weeks my browser has been playing up. After a few minutes pages would basically stop loading, clicking on a new link would open a new window but nothing would load. Disabled my Ad Blocker extensions (I had two) and issue resolved itself. Re-enabled Ad blocker (AdGuard AdBlocker) and problem returned. Disabled it, problem went, tried Ghostery (not used before), issue returned. Both extensions are recommended. Similar issue exists on my work computer - one ad blocker and after a few site visits pages no longer load, and links no longer react to a click, home button no longer works. I close and open and I get told firefox is already running and do I want to close it before opening again. Pretty sure it's not just my home computer. Any help would be welcomed.
All Replies (3)
"Disabled my Ad Blocker extensions (I had two) and issue resolved itself. Re-enabled Ad blocker (AdGuard AdBlocker) and problem returned. Disabled it, problem went, tried Ghostery (not used before), issue returned. " Provide examples of the sites you're having issues with. Sounds like you may just need to tweak the extensions to work. I've been using Ghostery and AdBlock Plus for many years now and don't leave home without them.
Hi jonzn, I've been using the same combination of extensions for a year or so too, AdBlock Plus incl, it's only just in the last month that the problems have been occurring. Sites are varied, at work today for example my ff had issues on https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/21202.wpf-programmatically-selecting-and-focusing-a-row-or-cell-in-a-datagrid.aspx. After opening it up home button no longer worked also links were inactive. At home it's after I've opened a couple of websites such as stuff.co.nz, tvnz.co.nz, bbc and the like. At home I have a couple of video downloader extensions but my work device only has AdBlock. I tried re-enabling AdBlock at home but it would disable itself after about 10-15 seconds without me clicking anything. Am going to disable all extensions on my home device and re-enable one by one to see if it makes a difference starting with AdBlock +. I'll pretend I'm debugging a nasty piece of code and step through it. Will report back when I've located the culprit causing the grief. I suspect the issues on my work computer could be unrelated to my home device and it's just a badly timed coincidence.
Right, there's something wrong with Adblock+ and friends. Try uBlock Origin instead (you don't have to use any other adblocker).