Tabs gone after automatic update, cannot recover the tabs even from sessionstore-backups
Really really frustrating, I had like 30 important tabs open. This Firefox auto-update feature which updates the Firefox and then restart automatically. I've been using this Firefox since years, it does update silently and but I was able to restore the tabs every time.
But this is the first time happened, it updated and restarted , just google opened up. I tried everything I can , restore tabs and all but showing all greyed out, it's gone.
It all happened because of update only, that's exactly the timestamp when it updated and my tabs were gone. IMG attached
I don't understand why Mozilla has this weird set up of installing update silently and then spoiling the tabs and also they erase the default settings. Very disappointed.
Can someone help ? :(
All Replies (4)
So I actually tried those current backups, one by one, it seems to restore the tabs but after the firefox update not the ones before. The ones before were my most important tab.
Now I only see two options: 1. Restore previous file version for sessionstoreBackups, which I see one for 29th Dec
2. I've windows 10 , system restore from control panel , I do see a restore point from 8th Jan which will rollback my firefox to 95.... But I am not sure if my old sessionstore backups will also restore and other profile settings with my tabs. Never tried it.
Modified by ascension1110
You can try to restore a recent upgrade.jsonlz4-<build_id> when available or use a utility to browse Windows System Restore points to see if you can find a recent sessionstore.jsonlz4 file.
You can look at this tool to inspect a compressed sessionstore file.
You can use the button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page (Root directory).
- Help -> More Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
You will normally find these files in the sessionstore-backups folder:
- previous.jsonlz4 (cleanBackup: copy of sessionstore.jsonlz4 from previous session that was loaded successfully)
- recovery.jsonlz4 (latest version of sessionstore.jsonlz4 written during runtime)
- recovery.baklz4 (previous version of sessionstore.jsonlz4 written during runtime)
- upgrade.jsonlz4-<build_id> (backup created during an upgrade of Firefox)
You can copy a file from the sessionstore-backups folder to the main profile and rename the file to sessionstore.jsonlz4 to replace the current file with Firefox closed.
- make sure to backup the current sessionstore.jsonlz4
Like I mentioned above, I've tried the files from profile/sessionstore-backups, one by one, they don't have the old tabs unfortunately but all the tabs after the Firefox update.
The only option that could save me is system restore, I attached an image from restore in my 2nd comment, see if that makes sense.
Don't you have any upgrade file in the sessionstore-backups folder ?
You can look a utility to browse System Restore points to see if you can locate a suitable sessionstore file.