This thread was closed and archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Get back to a working version of Firefox for Android
Google Play has updated Firefox to a new version which doesn't work as well as the previous version I had:
Start Screen I no longer seem able to customise (or I cannot find the options to do so)
Tabs are remaining open when I close the browser despite previously being set to close
My adblock plugin is no longer working
How do I go back to the previous version? Download an earlier APK and manually install?
All Replies (10)
As of now, you can get the v68 APK from here: https://download.mozilla.org/?product=fennec-latest&os=android&lang=multi
(Found this via: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android)
If that link ends up being pointed to v79, then you should still be able to get v68 from:
[removed random third-party site] https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/releases/68.11.0/
So you can "reverse" the update by uninstalling, then reinstalling from the APK. Note, this will lose any settings, bookmarks, history etc that you have locally, so before uninstalling, sync anything you want to keep!
Modified by James
Thanks, I had literally just finished downgrading using APK Mirror - sanity is restored.
hi, to address some of your original concerns if you might want to give the new firefox another try:
- you can pin custom sites to your start screen during browsing by going into the menu and selecting "add to top sites".
- in the general settings under "delete data on quit" there's the possibility to wipe tabs as well and start in a fresh session next time.
- the new firefox for android launches with support for only a few popular manually vetted addons to ensure compatibility, a good and secure user experience. among them is ublock origin, a full-fledged ad blocker, which you can enable in the menu directly in the Add-ons section. Support for more extensions is being worked on...
- Each time i started the "beta" (can't think of it as anything else since it has so many issues) it had forgotten the sites I had pinned, including all the sites I had pinned before the update, and kept showing sections I had previously told it not to show.
- I had set that setting, but when I relaunched the browser it had my previous tabs open again - almost like the setting wasn't set
- I don't like uBlock Origin, I use Adblock Plus and have for years, I'm not going to switch now.
I've downgraded and won't be updating for at least a few months - if then
hi, to address some of your original concerns if you might want to give the new firefox another try
Not until TABS are restored to their proper function. Firefox is completely unusable to me in this current idiotic configuration. What kind of *%^&! could think that hiding tabs in a stupid subscreen makes it "easier to use?" The ENTIRE POINT of Tabs is that you can see them from the page you're on so you can switch back and forth between them.
I was a beta tester on FIREBIRD. You guys have completely lost your way. HUGE disappointing step backwards, and utter failure. I can't believe you made Firefox SUCK.
Tabs need to be just that... tabs on the menu bar, not a menu you open and then have to swipe down off the screen.
Also, the option should be a toggle for whether to reopen previous tabs at startup--not about closing tabs on shutdown.
Has it improved at all?
Can see on APK Mirror there's been 6 new versions since I last installed it
We are continuing to roll out updates to further improve the new Firefox for Android with bug fixes and new features.
Wow what a useless answer - have any of the issues that I raised in the first place been addressed?
Yes, we have explained how you can customise the home screen and the content blocker that is available (in addition to the built in tracking protection).
We currently only make Firefox for Android available from the Google Play store.
I am going to close this thread as I believe your questions have been answered, but please feel to submit new support requests as required.