Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Outlook mail web page signout link on account page is absent. OK on chrome.

more options

The account dropdown on the outlook mail web page should contain 3 links: My account My profile Sign out Almost always all three are absent using Firefox, always present using Chrome. Win10/64 1909.

Chosen solution

A good way to check if it's the cookies or cache causing the problem is to try the website using Private Browsing mode. Private Browsing will create an independent window that won't use any existing cookies or cache.

If the issue doesn't happen in Private Browsing mode, clearing your cache and cookies will likely provide the solution to your problem.

I use Outlook as well and I don't have this issue, so it doesn't sound like a browser compatibility issue.

Read this answer in context 👍 1

All Replies (6)

more options

Try clearing your cache and clearing your cookies from Firefox and see if that helps.

more options

Wesley,

I am reluctant to do this as the family have four accounts that would have to be set up again (I guess).

However, I have found the work-around. If I click on my account icon immediately after logging-in, then the links appear and then become available when I do want to logout.

It does of course remain a Firefox anomaly.

Many thanks for your timely response.

Colin.

more options

Chosen Solution

A good way to check if it's the cookies or cache causing the problem is to try the website using Private Browsing mode. Private Browsing will create an independent window that won't use any existing cookies or cache.

If the issue doesn't happen in Private Browsing mode, clearing your cache and cookies will likely provide the solution to your problem.

I use Outlook as well and I don't have this issue, so it doesn't sound like a browser compatibility issue.

more options

Thanks again Wesley, private mode doesn't appear to have this problem. I will clear the cache at a convenient moment.

more options

Clearing the cache shouldn't effect any logged in accounts. Only clearing cookies and site data should have that effect.

However, if you go to Outlook and click the lock icon on the left side of your address bar, you can select Clear Cookies and Site Data... to delete only the cookies and data associated with Outlook (and some related websites). This should still fix the problem, but will reduce the inconvenience of having to sign into everything on Firefox again.

more options

I encounter this problem after a recent Microsoft update. When trying to sign out of Outlook.com, the three items My account, My profile, Sign out

simply disappear. I delete cookies and downloaded site data & web pages often, at least three times a week. This made no difference with this Outlook problem. Since getting workable recommendations from the community is often frustrating, I came up with the following work-around: From a Chrome browser, I copied the URL for the sign out button which reads https://login.live.com/logout.srf

Then I pasted this into the URL line (aka address line or search box) of the Firefox browser. Then I saved it to the Bookmarks toolbar, so it is visible at all times. So whenever the sign out button disappears, I click on my very own "Signout of Outlook.com button" or shortcut. Simple and effective, not elegant, the computing equivalent of duct tape!

Another method, which requires less thought, is to exit out of Outlook by clicking on the X which closes the tab, and then right away try to sign in again to Outlook. The effect is that sometimes the missing buttons reappear. Inconsistent and wobbly effects - how come?

This happens on a Win 10 Home, 64bit computer, with AMD Ryzen CPU, with 8 MG Ram, on which I run Avast Internet Security, with the Microsoft firewall disabled. Asking Avast a question is generally useless. I have tried.

The latest MSFT update appears to have destroyed my Dropbox setup, and made Adobe Reader DC unresponsive. Re-installed both, and found that Adobe Reader DC has two security settings that need to be disabled for it to even open at all. When a program (aka App) does not open, then it's like locking your key in the car, because you can't change its settings. Thus, through trial and error, I found that in the Windows Register, at the address: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\TrustManager there are two settings that have to be set from (1) to (0) namely: bEnhancedSecurityInBrowser and

               bEnhancedSecurityStandalone

then Reader DC opens again, of course without whatever value the EnhancedSEcurityinBrowser might have provided. So, you use this at your own risk, just so you can open that PDF. (Also make a backup of the registry before you make changes there, in case you ruin something. And make a note of what you did, so you can change it back.)

I am aware of the "post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy, and I cut myself shaving with "Occam's Razor" often enough. So, I can be wrong, and I often am. It could be that Avast is at fault here. It could be a hacking attack, or it could be that Outlook wishes to attack Firefox, or runs an enhanced and thus faulty webpage. I don't know.