how do I download all of my bookmarks into a flash drive
I am buying a new computer and want to save of my bookmarks, how do I download it into a flash drive to later uploaded into my new computer.
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Citrix Online App Detector Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 32.0 r0
- Npdsplay dll
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Hi GLADYSMS7, congratulations on the new computer!
Firefox has two different file formats for bookmark transfers:
(1) JSON "backup" format
This is a dense, not very human-readable data structure that may preserve a few more details. You create the file using "Backup" and you restore the file using "Restore". Note: Restore completely replaces whatever is in the destination browser with the contents of the JSON file.
(2) HTML "export" format
This traditional cross-browser format invented by Netscape in the 1990s can be viewed as a web page of clickable links. You create the file using "Export" and you import it into another Firefox installation or third party browser using "Import".
- Export Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file to back up or transfer bookmarks
- Import Bookmarks from an HTML file
I suggest creating both formats "just in case."
Also, you could back up more files if you want to carry over more data. These articles go into the details:
You probably will be able to install the current Firefox release (67.0.4) and thus there will be a large version jump from Firefox 52 ESR. In such a case, best is probably to import the HTML backup.
In case you want to transfer more:
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (passwords) and key3.db (57 and older; key4.db is used in 58 and newer)(decryption key) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
you have key3.db, so make sure to remove an existing key4.db and copy logins.json and key3.db
- cert8.db (57 and older) for certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
you have cert8.db, so make sure to remove an existing cert9.db
- persdict.dat for words you added to the spelling checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.js is used in 52 for open tabs and pinned tabs
current releases use a compressed sessionstore.jsonlz4, sp make sure to remove an sessionstore.jsonlz4 and also clear the sessionstore-backups folder
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Directory:
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder