This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
How do you restore your bookmarks, logins and history from the "Old Firefox Data" folder?
I have the Old Firefox Data folder and want to transfer the data to a new Firefox install. The FAQ page doesn't tell me where to put the files just what they are. Where do I put the files and which ones do I use to restore my logins, bookmarks, history and so on?
Modified by ragnajoe
All Replies (2)
What's What in the Profile :
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (passwords) and key4.db (58+) or key3.db (57 and older) (decryption key) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
- if you only have key3.db then make sure to remove an existing key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) or cert8.db (57 and older) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- if you only have cert8.db then make sure to remove an existing cert9.db
- persdict.dat for words you added to the spelling checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)
You can copy files like these with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to recover specific data.
fyi for the future :
Firefox uses two locations for the Firefox profile folder, so make sure to look in the correct location.
Location used for the main profile that keeps your personal data in "AppData\Roaming" (Root Directory on about:profiles)(this is the location you need to use).
Location used for the disk cache and other temporary files in "AppData\Local" (Local Directory on about:profiles).
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Directory:
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder