Why does FF keep disabling or removing my add-ons, specifically uBlock and Tab Session manager?
Every few days I suddenly start seeing all the ads that should be blocked, so I check the add on manager and find they've been disabled!! Sometimes it even completely un-installs them! I asked about this before and was told to remove the entries in the configuration. This didn't work.... all it did was cause me to have to re-configure FF from the start. I continue to have the problem.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 28.0 r0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Did you verify they are updated to work with FF57? Addon aren't FF problem if they fail to work that is the Addon creator to fix to insure that they will work with FF57+.
Both of these were installed *after* the 57 update (that broke a lot of add-ons!). They are both up to date with current versions as well. I suspect that everything gets disabled or uninstalled whenever there is any update (be it FF or the add-ons. it happens VERY frequently!) uBlock Origin is version 1.14.25rc1 (updated 2 days ago).
Tab Session Manager is version 1.9.2 (updated Jan 11, 2018).
FF is version 57.0.4 (64 bit).
It’s possible that there is a problem with the file(s) that store the extensions registry.
Type about:support in the address bar and press enter.
Under the page logo on the left side, you will see Application Basics. Under this find Profile Folder. To its right press the button Show Folder. This will open your file browser to the current Firefox profile. Now Close Firefox.
Delete all extensions files and compatibility.ini in the Firefox profile folder to reset the extensions registry.
New files will be created when required.
After, restart Firefox.
See "Corrupt extension files":
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ You will have to approve the updating one last time.
That is the exact suggestion that was made before, and as I said above -- "I asked about this before and was told to remove the entries in the configuration. This didn't work.... all it did was cause me to have to re-configure FF from the start. I continue to have the problem. "--
So there is still something else going on here.
Again, it seems to me that they get disabled whenever there is and update, either to FF or perhaps any of the add ons.
Then you need to contact the Addon creator. FF has no responsibility to faulty Addons that don't meet the new FF57 criteria. The fix is in the Addon camp.
I don't believe that. It has happened again, and *both* apps disappeared at the same time, and it was right after a FF update.
Note: Some software, like Advanced SystemCare with Surfing Protection, can protect files in the Firefox profile folder against changes. If you have such software then check the settings or uninstall this software.
I have no such software. Only two add-ons... the ones I've been complaining about.
Curious, both add-ons were last updated 2/3, just a few days ago.
That's because I had to re-install them! I keep having to do this.... it seems to follow FF updates... each time FF updates, it wipes out the extensions! So why would they get trashed... it seems to happen EVERY time FF updates. It had been a few weeks since the the last problem, but I don't think there were any FF updates during that time.
I called for more help.
I am still waiting for a response to my question (It's been over a month now). As in the past, every time there is an update to Rirefox, it kills my two add-ons. AND THIS HAPPENS ON ALL MY COMPUTERS ON THE ACCOUNT!!!
Ahhhh, you have now said something that you had not before. Sync if am correct ????
As fred said ccleaner and that sorta program will wipe things out so just making sure not running a stand alone program that cleans up. As you said add-ons to his question. I say stand alone programs, any ??
So please confirm if on right track with Sync as you say Account. Thxs
The *only* "sync" I do is the Firefox account itself. I have no other related programs. Again, it correlates perfectly with updates to Firefox, so it would seem logical that that's the place to look.
Well, yesterday (Thursday, March 22). both add-ons on both machines were disabled again! At least I only had to re-enable them, not re-install them this particular time.
The screenshot shows a Disable button next to your extensions. That means that the extension is currently enabled. If the extension still isn't working then try to toggle disable/enable to see if that helps.
then try to toggle disable/enable to see if that helps.
But close the browser after each change.