41.0.2 runs at 50% CPU even when not "on" and cannot be stopped
We just (same day this started) upgraded ESET license and program to Smart Security 9. I run CCleaner on all computers every night, and found it would not clean as FF was running. And would not close from CCLeaner. So, I opened Task Manager, and it is not in "applications", but it is in "processes" and will not "kill process" nor "kill process tree". Odd.
Opened SysInternals Process Explorer, won't kill process or process tree.
This is taking right on 50% of CPU. When I try to "kill" it, the usage drops to 49.something, then right back to exactly 50% CPU.
The only way to run CCleaner is to reboot, then the FF is no longer there, and CCleaner works fine.
This computer was on auto-update until it would not play nice with FaceBook, so I backed it up a couple of versions and it's been fine.
The 32 bit computer used to report this is FF 25.0, the 64 bit tower next to it is FF 12.0, as I like the lack of bells and whistles, and they work fine with ESET 9.
The only thing I can think of is the anti-virus has got hold of the browser for updates but updates are done, nothing in process. All functions to "phone home" are disabled, as on this 32 bit machine.
Just so you don't have to ask....all three are XP and are staying that way.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 24.0 r0
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 11.111.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 220.127.116.11
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 18.104.22.168
- VLC media player Web Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.03
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0