Firefox Sync - can't access anything!
Hello, I have the latest version of Firefox in my laptop as well as in my android device, have created an account and, according to both devices, I am synced. But when I try to access my bookmarks on my phone... nothing! I've tried logging off and logging in again, deleting the account and creating a new one in another email address... what am I doing wrong? Help, please.
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
I have the exact same problem. This whole synch'ing business sucks.
@ Forum Moderator(s): Are there up-to-date stickies to be read ? Why is there so much outdated info on the subject of sync'ing on the Mozilla forums ? Why is it so complicated to sync ? (according to user's experience).
I don't want to sound overly negative here (I do appreciate the Mozilla projects, to which I have contributed) but there seems to be issues associated not only with Sync but also with the way those issues are being treated by Mozilla (and/or Forum Moderators)... Is this a time problem (not enough time to deal with users queries) ? Is it an organization problem ? (lack of priorization, no sticky published on your forum, etc.) In any case the purely technical problem ballooned to something else.
Modified by Cbhihe
I'm going back to Chrome, not sorry.
I'm pretty sure me and other Moderators have addressed your concerns. If you have issues with the content here on the site, please create a new thread over at /forums/contributors/new, which is our Contributors forum. If you want to discuss the policies here at Mozilla Support (policies can be found at Forum rules and guidelines), please contact our site Administrator, Madalina. Please note that Madalina is just recovering from the flu so her response time may be a few days. I recommend creating a new thread using the link above and adding [ATTN: ADMIN] to the thread title to flag it for Admin review.
I'm sorry we couldn't solve your issues. However if you would like to continue troubleshooting please let me know so I can get someone from the Sync team that does troubleshooting.
Modified by Moses
Hello Moses, Thank you for your reply and an offer to escalate my queries to administrator level. I note that you do not offer to troubleshoot in my case, which is the only request I ever had. I want to highlight 3 aspects of the pbm associated with the new-fangled Sync as a way to lay the case to rest (at least on my side).
-1- You seem to ignore the basis of my post which is basically a Sync problem. Instead you offer to escalate this to admin level. On one hand, in a way, it already has, (although Madalina understandably did not manifest herself since she was unavailable). On the other hand, I already created a thread discussing aspects of administrations and moderation in relation with my querying the DB to get community help on Sync. [[Differentiate between automated answers to users' queries by showing package versioning info|https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/for.../710347?last=59976#post-59976]] I don't think rattling more pots and pans to attract more attention would actually be constructive or productive. It would mainly be unpleasant, in the face of the superb project that is Mozilla.org. So thanks, but no thanks, I will not escalate. If you judge my request for technical support worthy of escalation, you may of course choose to do so. I don't.
-2- There IS a technical problem associated with Sync at the time of my posting. This is not all fictitious, it is just ill-defined and not easy to repeat. Others in the forum have tried to address the problem, but to no avail. Others still (e.g. the-edmeister) reported similar anomalies . Everything seems to point to large propagation times in the Sync-server.
-3- To boot, two days ago I posted that of the 3 platforms I sync, all running Fx 29.0.1 (Win-xp sp3, Lx-ubuntu 14.04 and Android 4.1.2) , 2 suddenly started to sync correctly after approximately some 41 hours of limbo, during which I was constantly reminded by a discrete browser popup that an error had occurred and my "recovery key" was needed. i.e. long after I actually set up and tried to initiate my sync service. The one Fx 29.0.1 instance left not syncing at that time was on the Win-xp platform. This changed yesterday, at about 1 am GMT (I think). So now 4 or 5 days after the fact, I sync correctly, all other things being equal... on my side at least.
[Sorry, if all my times and dates are vague and fuzzy; I was not prepared to record times when I started troubleshooting.]
As the-edmeister put it: "Go figure!" This does not provide a solution for the pbm I encountered, but it closes my thread as far as I am concerned.
Modified by Cbhihe