Control whether Firefox automatically fills in forms
Firefox can remember what you've entered in forms on web pages, also known as text fields. After you've entered something into a form on a web page (such as a search box), the next time you visit that page, your previous entry will be available to re-use. This article describes how to use the auto form fill feature and how to clear or prevent it from storing form entries.
Table of Contents
Using Auto Form Fill
To use your previous entry in a form:
- Type the first few letters of the entry into the form field. Firefox will display a drop-down menu with what you've typed into the form before.
- You may see a list of all the entries stored for a particular form field by pressing the ↓ key when the field is empty.
- Press the ↓ key to select the entry you want to re-use. Press EnterReturn when the appropriate entry is highlighted. The text of the entry will appear in the form field. You may also use the mouse to click on the entry.
Deleting individual form entries
If you want to remove one of your previous form entries from Firefox's history:
- Click on the form field and press the ↓ key to display all the saved entries. You may type the first few letters of the entry to limit the number of entries displayed.
- Use the ↓ key or the mouse pointer to highlight the entry you wish to delete.
- Press Shift+Delete. The entry will be removed.
Repeat the process for each entry that you'd like to delete.
Clearing form history
If you want Firefox to forget all of your previous form entries:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button, go over to the menu and select .On the menu bar, click on the menu, and select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu, and select .
- In the Time Range to clear: drop-down, select Everything.
- Click the arrow next to Details to display the list of items that can be cleared.
- Make sure only Form & Search History is check marked.
- Click . The dialog box will disappear and your form history will be erased.
- Click on the menu button .
- Click , and then .
- In the Time Range to clear: drop-down, choose .
- Click on the arrow next to Details to display the list of items that you can clear.
- Make sure Form & Search History has a check mark next to it.
- Click to clear your form history and close the dialog box.
Prevent Firefox from storing form entries
If you don't want Firefox to remember what you've entered into form fields, you can turn off the auto form fill feature:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button and then select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and then select .On the menu bar, click on the menu and select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and select .
Click the menu button and choose . .
- Select the panel.
- In the drop-down menu next to Firefox will:, choose .
- Remove the check mark next to Remember search and form history.
Click to close the Options window.Click to close the Preferences window.Close the Preferences window. Close the about:preferences page. Any changes you've made will automatically be saved.
Disabling form history also prevents Firefox from storing search history for the Search bar in the Navigation Toolbar.
If you find that Firefox does not save your form entries and you cannot re-use them, please read the article Firefox doesn't save web form entries.
Based on information from Deleting autocomplete entries (mozillaZine KB)