Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page
This article will help you remove third-party toolbars like Ask, searchqu, MyStart, incredibar, seeearch, somoto, sweetim, uTorrent, and others from Firefox and restore your default home page, New tab page and search settings. For help removing the Babylon toolbar, see How to remove the Babylon toolbar, home page and search engine.
- If you just want to remove a search engine from the Firefox Search Bar, see the Search bar - Easily choose your favorite search engine article.
- If you need help with toolbar customization or if you simply want to hide a toolbar, see Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars.
Table of Contents
How did this happen?
Toolbars from third-party software providers can change your search, New Tab and home page settings or cause other problems with Firefox. These toolbars can get added to Firefox when you visit a website and click on an "Install" link, when you download and run a toolbar installer, or when you install software that includes a Firefox toolbar. Be careful when installing or updating other applications and make sure you deselect any options for toolbars or other bundled software that you don't want.
Also, some software providers offer their own version of Firefox that includes a toolbar and other customizations (for instance, Mozilla Firefox® optimized for Yahoo!) so always make sure you download Firefox from the Firefox download page.
How do I fix it?
Use the Add-ons Manager to remove the toolbar
In most cases, third-party toolbars can be uninstalled from Firefox Add-ons Manager Extensions list, as follows:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the buttonOn the menu bar, click on the menuAt the top of the Firefox window, click on the , and then click menu . The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
- In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the panel.
- Select the toolbar you wish to remove.
- Click the button.
- Click Restart now if it pops up. Your tabs will be saved and restored after the restart.
If you can't remove the toolbar from the Add-ons Manager, use the "Disable" option as a workaround, or see the Cannot uninstall an add-on article for other solutions.
Restore the default home page or search settings
You may need to reset your Firefox search preferences and restore the default New Tab page, home page and search engine after removing the toolbar. A simple way to do that is with the SearchReset add-on.
- If your current Firefox installation was customized by another software provider, you'll need to uninstall Firefox from your computer and then download Firefox from the Firefox download page and reinstall it.
- You may have malicious software installed on your computer. See Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware.
Share this article: http://mzl.la/L2oGPJ