New Tab Page – show, hide and customize top sites
When you create a new tab, Firefox shows your top sites to make getting where you want to go easier than ever. We'll show you how to pin sites to this page, rearrange the layout or even turn it off if you wish.
Table of Contents
How do I organize my top sites on the new tab page?
Firefox displays websites on the new tab page based on how frequently you visit each site and how recently you were there. You can easily pin, delete and rearrange the sites that show up on the new tab page to customize it just the way you want.
Pin a site
- Just click the pin icon in the top-left corner of the site to lock it in that position on the page.
Add a site
You can also open the bookmarks library and drag bookmarks to the new tab page.
- Click the Bookmarks button on the right side of the navigation toolbarOn the menu bar, click At the top of the Firefox window, click the and select menu to open the Library window.
- Drag a bookmark to the new tab page.
Remove a site
- Click the "X" in the top-right corner of the site to delete it from the page.
- Click and drag a site into the position you want. If the site wasn't "pinned" previously it will be now.
How do I turn the new tab page off?
If you don't want to see top sites when you make a new tab you can easily hide them:
- To toggle the new tab page off or back on, open a blank tab and then click the button in the upper-right corner of the page.
If you are concerned about your privacy, you can turn this feature off completely:
In the Location bar, type about:config and press EnterReturn.
- The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click , to continue to the about:config page.
- Type browser.newtab.url in the search box.
- Double-click the browser.newtab.url preference and change the url from about:newtab to about:blank. Alternately, you can change it to about:home for the Firefox Google home page, or type in your preferred home page, for example google.com.
- Click and close the about:config tab.
The images of my top sites are gone - how do I get them back?
Firefox stores the website thumbnails in a temporary cache on your computer. Sometimes these get deleted. We'll explain why that happens and how to get them back.
Share this article: http://mzl.la/LFouVP