How to stay safe on the web
There are all kinds of scams, viruses and other dangers out there. Here are simple steps you can take to protect your computer and personal information.
Table of Contents
Keep your software and operating system up-to-date
Software updates contain vulnerability patches that protect your computer and personal information.
- Update Firefox: To check for Firefox updates, go to the top of the Firefox window, click the menu and select .To check for Firefox updates, go to the top of the Firefox window and click the button, go over to the menu and select .To check for Firefox updates, go to the menu bar, click the See menu and select .Update Firefox to the latest version for details.
- Update your plugins: Go to our Plugin Check page and follow the links to update any plugins that are out of date.
- Update WindowsUpdate OS XUpdate your system: Make sure you have all of the latest security and stability fixes. Go to the menu, select and then .Go to the menu and select .Go to the menu, down to and select .
Check your Firefox settings
Firefox has many ways to help you stay safe on the Web.
- How do I tell if my connection to a website is secure?
- Disable third-party cookies in Firefox to stop some types of tracking by advertisers
- Create secure passwords to keep your identity safe
- Where are my logins stored?
- There are also a lot of Firefox extensions that may be helpful.
Follow best practices to protect your information
Here are some handy tips to protect yourself.
- Remember that YOU decide what information about yourself to reveal, when, why, and to whom: don't give out personally-identifiable information too easily; set your privacy settings in your social networking account; beware of sites that offer some sort of reward or prize in exchange for your contact information or other personal details.
- Be conscious of Web security: never submit a credit card number or other highly sensitive personal information without first making sure your connection is secure; be on the lookout for "spyware"; use secure passwords and protect them with a master password.
- Keep a "clean" e-mail address: use some pseudonymous or simply alternate address, and keep your main or preferred address only on small, members-only lists and with known, trusted individuals.
- Do not reply to spammers, for any reason.
- Realize you may be monitored at work: avoid sending highly personal e-mail to mailing lists, and keep sensitive files on your home computer.
- Be conscious of home computer security: Turn off your computer when you are not using your Internet connexion; secure your Wi-Fi network with a strong encryption (WPA or WPA2) ; use a firewall.
- EFF's Top 12 Ways to Protect Your Online Privacy
- How you can stay safe and secure online
- Get Cyber Safe
- How to Stay Safe on Public Wi-Fi Networks
- How to Stay Safe With Wifi
- How to Stay Safe on Ecommerce Sites
Share this article: http://mzl.la/14BMMxP