Get started with Firefox OS
Welcome to Firefox OS! This article covers all the basics and will get you up and running. It also has links to other great articles that you might want to explore later.
Table of Contents
Your Firefox OS device comes with a data connection that keeps you online when you're on the go. You can also connect to Wi-fi networks which are often faster and the data you use there doesn't count against your data plan.
To connect to a Wi-Fi network:
- Open the Settings app and choose .
- Toggle Wi-Fi on and then tap an available network to connect to it.
For more, see Get connected - access Wi-fi and cellular networks.
Find great apps
One of the great things about a smartphone is access to apps that make your life easier. Firefox OS has two ways to help you discover apps.
Download and install apps from the Marketplace
The Marketplace app had all kinds of handy apps waiting for you. Quickly browse popular, new and featured apps.
For more about the Marketplace, see How to download and install apps.
Adaptive Search lets you discover personalized apps
Firefox OS includes an easy-to-use, adaptive app search. Just type a single word, like "sushi," to discover related mobile apps. Some apps can even make use of your location to customize the content they display.
- Type a keyword in the search box.
- Then tap an app to try it without downloading or installing it.
To learn all of the things you can do with this, see Use Adaptive Search to discover personalized apps.
Import and manage your contacts
The Contacts app makes it easy to call or message your favorite people.
- Tap the gear button in the upper-right corner of the Contacts app to import contacts from a SIM card, Facebook, Gmail, Outlook (and Hotmail) or an SD card.
There's lots more you can do - see Import, add and manage contacts on Firefox OS
Use messages to keep in-touch
The Messages app lets you send short text messages, images and videos to your friends. To send a message:
- Open the Messages app .
- Tap the new message button to get started.
- In the To: field you can either type in the phone number of the person you want to send the message to or tap the contact button to add someone from the Contacts app.
- Then just type in the message field and hit when you're done.
See How to use the Messages app for all of the details.
Firefox OS supports Gmail, Yahoo and Outlook (and Hotmail) accounts right out of the box.
- Just open the Mail app and enter your name, email address, password and then tap
. The rest is automatic.
Want to know more about email? See Composing and Sending Email on Firefox OS
Put music on your phone
Take your music with you!
- Enable USB storage:
- Find out what version of Firefox OS you have.
- For Firefox OS v 1.0.1: Open the Settings app, scroll down to the Device section and tap . Then, in the Media storage settings, enable USB mass storage.
- For Firefox OS v 1.1: Open the Settings app, scroll down to the Storage section and enable USB storage.
- Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable.
- Drag your music files to your device's SD card.
You can also download music from the browser or receive it over Bluetooth. See How to put music on your Firefox OS phone to learn how.
Share this article: http://mzl.la/S4Ibwh