What is Persona and how does it work?
Mozilla Persona is an easy way to sign in to websites. Instead of making up a hard-to-remember username and password for each site, Persona lets you use your email address and a single password to sign in to any site that supports it. This article shows you how Persona works and how you can get started using it.
Table of Contents
How does it work?
When you create a Persona account, you're sent a verification email that lets Persona know that you really do own your email address. Then, when you use Persona to log in to a website, the website is given your email address and proof you really do own it, but they are never given your Persona password. This works similarly to how you prove your identity when you show someone your ID: websites can easily verify that your ID is authentic and that you really are the person it was issued to.
What are the benefits of Mozilla Persona?
- You can use one easy-to-remember log in for all sites that support Persona.
- You never have to trust a website with your password because they never know it. Also, your password can't be stolen if one of those websites gets hacked.
- You can use Persona with as many email addresses as you want. This lets you keep your various online personalities (school, work, home, etc.) separate.
- Persona doesn't let your email provider track what websites you visit.
How do I create an account?
Persona will automatically walk you through setting up an account the first time you try to log in to a site that supports it.
If you want to set things up beforehand, you can:
- Go to login.persona.org and click the button.
- Type the email address you want to use when logging in to your favorite websites and click the button.
- Choose a password to use with Persona and click the
- In your email, find the confirmation message from Persona and click the link they sent to you. You're done!
How do I sign in to websites?
Signing in is easy:
- Click the Persona
button on the website you want to access and the Persona popup window will open.
- Enter your email address and press .
- A new box will show up. Enter your Persona password and click
Help, the Persona popup window is blank!
If you clickon a website and the Persona popup window opens but it's blank, simply close the window and click the button again. If that doesn't work:
- Make sure that your browser accepts cookies.
- If you're using Firefox, try starting it in Safe Mode. If Persona works, you may have an add-on that is blocking it. See Troubleshooting extensions and themes for help.
Share this article: http://mzl.la/LUVytg