Why doesn't my clear history completely clear my history
I'm trying to clear all of the browsing history from my Firefox but it's not working. The function clears all of my searches and website preferences and passwords bar one or two websites. I've ticked all of the options for clearing history, apart from 'form and search history' as it won't let me tick this box. I also deleted all of my bookmarks, ran a CC cleaner and STILL there's search history when I start to type into the bar at the top. When I go into my history --> show all history having cleared it, it says that there is nothing there...
For example.. when I start to type P in the bar at the top.. UK Parliament immediately comes up. And my bar at the top of the page isn't one of those where you can just automatically search via Google so I don't think its doing that!...
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox but even so some websites are STILL there! How can I track these websites down and get rid of them?
Thanks for your help!!
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 11.7 r700
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.7
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.17.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
The websites that appear in this bar, do they have a star next to them?
No.. Forgot to add that I cleared by bookmarks too..
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox profile folder.
No unfortunately they're still there having tried to reset it...!
In order to better assist you with your issue please provide us with a screenshot. If you need help to create a screenshot, please see How do I create a screenshot of my problem?
Once you've done this, attach the saved screenshot file to your forum post by clicking the Browse... button below the Post your reply box. This will help us to visualize the problem.
Here's a screen shot... I typed in 'e' having cleared history again, and now it came up with easyjet.com...
Note that a reset tries to import the history and thus a reset may not be suited in case of history problems that you have.
You can either try to delete all places files in the profile folder or create a new profile with the Profile Manager.
Thanks for the suggestion cor-el, but it won't let me delete the places files in the profile folder. It says that it is in use by another program. I access it by going Help --> Troubleshooting Information --> Profile Folder
Is there another way to do it?
Drag Places to the Trash. Quit Firefox. Empty Trash. That should work. It just worked for me after I got the same "in use" message.
I have the same problem. For as long as I can remember, whenever I cleared all my history, the location bar search history always fully cleared. (Except for bookmarks, which I like.)
Now I cannot get it to clear, no matter what I try. (And I have tried the suggestions posted here.)
What's been changed in recent upgrades????