When, if ever, will Firefox support .mkv container for <video> tags with html5?
I know Firefox now fully supports .mp4 container, and the subsequent x/h.264 encoded type. I was wondering if Firefox will ever support the .mkv container with the same(x/h264) type. I know currently Chrome supports .mkv files, so was curious if Mozilla had plans to add it for Firefox or not.
MKV(Matroska) is a 'open' container, so goes along with Mozilla only using open containers.
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 11.7 r700
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.03
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.15.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0