I am having a problem with firefox - every time I restart my computer firefox will no longer work. When I launch the program after a restart it takes between two to five minutes to start up and when it eventually does the program instantly freezes and I have to manually kill the process.
The only solution I have found is to completely re-install the program, but this is only temporary as the next time I shut down and restart the computer the problem returns.
I am using windows 7 and have added firefox the exceptions list in my firewall. Resetting firefox in the troubleshooting menu does not fix the problem. Neither does running firefox in safe mode or as administrator.
Any help would be appreciated.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps:
Note: You might want to print these steps or view them in another browser.
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu).
- Delete the Firefox installation folder, which is located in one of these locations, by default:
- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Mac: Delete Firefox from the Applications folder.
- Linux: If you installed Firefox with the distro-based package manager, you should use the same way to uninstall it - see Install Firefox on Linux. If you downloaded and installed the binary package from the Firefox download page, simply remove the folder firefox in your home directory.
- Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Please report back to see if this helped you!
Unfortunately I have already tried this and it did not fix the problem.
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.
(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)
- You can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- Or open the Help menu and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.
Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that.
To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.
Hi feer56, the problem with firefox persists while in safe mode. I tried running safe mode both by holding shift while opening firefox and with windows in safe mode, but the program still would not open.
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
Well - I still haven't been able to identify the issue and was about to give up and switch browsers, but all seems to be well for now. I had to do a system restore today for an unrelated crash and ever since firefox is restarting reliably every time I turn on my PC.
Although I can't identify the problem, at least things are running smoothly again. I just hope it doesn't happen again :S
Could someone PLEASE post a solution to this problem without suggesting doing the things this guy has already done? I have the same problem and if it were not for other issues with Internet Explorer, I would have dropped Firefox by now. I'm waiting for a solution to either this problem or a problem I have with IE to decide which one I will uninstall. Thanks