What is about:blank and how do I get rid of it ?
When I put an address in my search browser about:blank comes on and the page doesn't so I would appreciate any help in getting rid of this!
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602
- Google Update
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Album Plugin Utility Module for IJ
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Npdsplay dll
- Yahoo! activeX Plug-in Bridge
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
What do you mean by Reset Firefox? I updated Firefox but it's still saying about:blank in my search engine but then sometimes going to the site and other times says Problem loading page. Thanks so much for your help!
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Are you using the location (address) bar or the search bar on the Navigation Toolbar?
Try to use the SearchReset extension to reset some preferences to the default values.
Note that the SearchReset extension only runs once and then uninstalls automatically, so it won't show on the "Firefox > Add-ons" page (about:addons).
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window or otherwise make changes.
I did the Safe Mode and it corrected the about:blank so far but I am still getting the Checking button that keeps going after I check some of my e-mail...Thanks for your help~I appreciate it!
I forgot to add that my computer e-mails are loading VERY SLOW
Well...that didn't last long....had to leave and when I came back I signed on and my about:blank is back.....bummer!!
Which security software firewall, anti-virus) do you have?
A possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
I have Kaspersky and didn't have any of these problems until I downloaded Kaspersky13 and they don't know how to fix it