Freezing without mouse activity, especially flash videos
Firefox freezes while playing flash videos. or mostly the video freezes. It is happening to my Firefox for quite a few weeks/months. I did not report it (not having time) and tried to find some already existing thread in support. Failed (similar topics miss the point with cursor moving or flashes importance)
There are several possible combinations of the trouble.
1) First degree of the problems manifests themselves only in videos (such as YouTubes) and they are the short twitches and stopping of the video-picture move (the sound goes on without any trouble), that is - if I am not moving and waving by the cursor. Occurrence: always, whenever there is flash video and I want to watch it I have to be moving by the mouse and annoyingly keep attention to localize the pointer inside the video window, when I do not, the motion picture does not move until I move again..
2) When I scroll down, so that the flash video is bit up or down, so that part of it is not visible on the screen it sometimes happen that the scrolling or any other action on the page is locked away. (I can not scroll). Yet I am free to reach by the mouse pointer up (down) to the video and whenever I hover over it, the screen (video picture) picks up and the scrolling starts to work immediately again. Occurrence: Often
(2b) I scrolled too far from the flash video, so it is out of the visible screen .... so I can not reach it by the mouse pointer. Subsequently, when it freezes the scrolling (and tab switching) I can only wait.)
3) Firefox stops responding as whole. It me prevents to o anything, best to restart or wait undeterminated time period before it restores itself (it happens too), sometimes the alt+tab with onother program helps to revive it. Occurrence: In some cases of the 2b) case or 2) if untreated by the pointer hovering (less often, yet few times in a day)
By now, all add-ons are disabled (except flash) and it did not help. By now the flash might not be updated, but I am sure I was updating it already few times from the moment when it started to make trouble. Not sure it might be about three months now (or four?)
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
Consider updating your Flash Player. Another option is to reinstall it. Also keep in mind to updating your Computer mostly fixes lot's of problems.
Let me know if that fixes the problem.
Thank You. It might have helped, it seems fine so far (but I am on slow net for now). I will see with time and I will let know :).
I thought that my flash player was updated .. is there difference between Shockwave flash and Adobe Flash? Which one has what role? I think I had been updating Adobe Flash before, without success, now I updated ShockWave so it might be the think.
Updating usually fixes some of the problems. I had that issue too.
After a quick search, I found this: Flash Player delivers fast loading front-end web applications, high-impact web site user interaction, interactive online advertising, and short to medium form animation.
Shockwave Player displays destination web content such as interactive multimedia product demos and training, e-merchandising applications, and rich-media multi-user games. Through Xtras, Shockwave Player is also extendable to playback custom-built applications. here
I just realized I have Shockwave Player on my Firefox Extras, although I always install Flash Player. Thats odd. :)
Updating has glitch if it is automatic. If one is on a slow net, it consumes lot of traffic in the most unsuitable moments. So I do prefer semi-automatic approach.
For some reason I do not remember that ShockWave flash would be asking me for allowance to update.
Well, I do stay without updating Flash Player for a long time, as I also do not like having automatic updates...