Why does my Firefox seem to pause after almost any action like writing this sentance; the cursor stopped several times.
When I select a link, the action indicator in the tab stops moving anywhere from a moment to a few seconds before the action is carried out. When trying to select a link there is a similar pause . When scrolling across a list of links there is a similar pause between when one link is highlighted and the next one under the cursor is highlighted. Perhaps most frustrating is that when typing, as I am now, the cursor stops moving sometimes for several words then catches up. This only happens in Firefox. I have no such trouble in explorer. This is on a very fast computer and a high speed cable modem.
Additional System Details
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.11.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Version 18.104.22.16876
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.5
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Facebook Video Calling Plugin
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- NDS Player Plugin
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- Motive Management Plug-in for Mozilla Browsers
- Picasa plugin
- Unity Player 2.6.1f3
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox Profile Folder.
You can check for problems with the sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak files in the Firefox Profile Folder that store session data.
Delete the sessionstore.js file and possible sessionstore-##.js files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
Modified by cor-el