How can I restore my original files and settings?
I had a computer crash and had to send my laptop in for service, in the process of it, I lost some files. All of my files are backed up on external hard drive, though, but I cannot get firefox to open the files now. I lost my custom preferences and saved passwords. Even though I have these files backed up, if I put them into the firefox folder again, firefox will not open them. Is there another way to retrieve my settings and passwords? I did manage to restore my bookmarks, at least.
I have windows 7 64bit on HP Pavilion DV-7 laptop.
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.13.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.01
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 126.96.36.1997
- HP Product Detection Plugin
- HP Active Check Plugin
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 188.8.131.523
- Logitech Device Detection
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- The Hulu Desktop Plugin allows Hulu.com to integrate with the Hulu Desktop application.
- Logitech Harmony Remote Plugin
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
See this for information about restoring from your back up files.
Hi Edmeister, thanks for the reply. I did as the article said and it restored everything but my passwords. When I bring up my saved passwords window, it is still blank.
I did not have every folder inside my profile folder backed up, just the files. Is there somewhere else that the passwords are saved? I'm using the Saved Passwords Editor extension.
Passwords are saved in two files, key3.db and signons.sqlite. You need both files.
I do have both of those files.
"If you do not see any passwords in the Password Manager window (Show Passwords) then your passwords are probably lost."
Aw, rats. Well, thanks so much for the help with this. Next time I will use the password exporter.