Latest version of firefox is sluggish opening new tab
This has been an ongoing problem on last several updates and definitely intermittent ,but seems worse in last two updates.Mostly when opening new site locations.
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.11.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Google Update
- Nitro PDF plugin for Firefox and Chrome
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- IE Tab 2 Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Bitdefender QuickScan Web Netscape Plugin
- WordCaptureX component for single click dictionary
- Panda ActiveScan 2.0 Plugin for Firefox
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Mycamera Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
I don't want to do factory reset as I don't think that's the problem ,as it is so inconsistent as to when it acts up safe mode would be an exercise in futility.
Which extensions do you have installed?
Do you keep a large history?
- History > Show All History
There may also be problems with the sessionstore.js file that stores session data.
What do you mean by open websites and is there anyway to save a list of extensions and preferences before doing a reset?
See Help > Troubleshooting Information
- Extension List Dumper: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/extension-list-dumper/
You can also create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
That will allow you to revert to the original profile if it didn't help or you are able to identify the cause.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.