how do i get rid of ads on Firfox home page ( most current version is installed and all extendsions disabled)?
ads on FireFox home page started a month or two ago...
some are very offensive (a gun pointing at me) and all are highly distracting/flashing things and such....
I emptied /cleared my Cache today..kept in only a few I knew..did the clean out manually selecting.. My version is current 18.0.1 as of a week or two ago.. and there were only 2 Extensions listed and both are disabled..
so what else can be done to get rid of these ads?
Additional System Details
- Version 188.8.131.5209
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- WebEx64 General Plugin Container Version 205
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Facebook Video Calling by Skype
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Sometimes a problem with Firefox may be a result of malware installed on your computer, that you may not be aware of.
You can try these free programs to scan for malware, which work with your existing antivirus software:
Microsoft Security Essentials is a good permanent antivirus for Windows 7/Vista/XP if you don't already have one.
Further information can be found in the Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware article.
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Note that the OP is using a Mac (Mac OS X 10.7) to post this.
Which home page are you using?
Can you attach a screenshot?
Use a compressed image type like PNG or JPG to save the screenshot.
Modified by cor-el