This problem only occurs in my laptop not on desktop. Both of them brand new and this problem occurs when there is a new version of firefox. I always do a manual update when I know there is a new version of firefox. I update it and it brings up the new version.
But when I go to add/remove program I can see there's two version of firefox i.e. Firefox 18.0 and Firefox 18.0.1. So I have to again uninstall firefox and download and re-install firefox. Why is this the case? For the desktop it doesn't happen like that? When i do a manual update from desktop it install the new version and in the add/remove program i can only see version 18.0.1.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
You can use the clean install method below or do what I do & use a third party uninstaller such as Revo Unistaller which I have used for years. Runs the built in standard uninstall program then scans registry and HD for leftover files and settings & allows you to remove completely.
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox and any leftover program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps one by one:
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu) and confirm all upcoming messages.
- Now, uninstall Firefox by following the steps mentioned in the Uninstall Firefox article.
IMPORTANT: On Windows, the uninstaller has the option to remove your personal data and settings. Make sure that you do not check this option; otherwise all of your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, user customizations and other Firefox user profile data will be removed from your computer.
After uninstalling Firefox on Windows, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" program folder, located by default in one of these locations:
- (On 32-bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- (On 64-bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Go to the Windows Start menu and click on "Computer".
- In the Explorer window that opens, double click Local Disk (C:) to open the C:\ drive.
- Find the "Program Files (x86)" folder or "Program Files" folder.
- On 32-bit Windows, double-click the Program Files folder to open it.
- On 64-bit Windows, you will see a "Program Files (x86)" folder AND a "Program Files" folder. Open the Program Files (x86) folder.
- Look for a Mozilla Firefox folder. If you find one, right-click it and select Delete and confirm that you want to move the folder to the Recycle Bin.
Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Please report back to see if this helped you!
Thanks for the help mate! I also know about the Revo Uninstaller I have used it before but I uninstalled it and never used it. Since I have the 18.0.1 version of Firefox I will use the Revo uninstaller and use that to uninstall the current version of firefox 18.0.1 and re-install it and i won't uninstall Revo Uninstaller.
Since Firefox version 19 is not too far way release date February 19, 2013. The day when version 19 is out I will do a manual update of firefox to get version 19. I will let you know if this helped me or not! I will get back to this forum.
FYI: This problem didn't start of firefox version 18 it started many years back. I think on firefox version 10 or 11 can't remember
Before the 18.0.2 came out i uninstalled firefox 18.0.1 with Revo Uninstaller and when 18.0.2 came out i didn't do a manual update but allowed to do a auto-update to 18.0.2. It installed, but when i went to add/remove program i can see there's 18.0.1 and 18.0.2 of firefox....
So no it didn't work? I think there is an issue with firefox updater?
I am still having the same problem. Even after doing a system restore? Firefox 19.0.2 got released did a manual update from 19.0.1 to 19.0.2. Same problem has mentioned in the very 1st of my comment. In add/remove i keep on getting 2 versions of Firefox 19.0.1 and 19.0.2.