Firefox goes black, works with page info up can't seem to fugure out the problem
So Firefox boots up normally but crashes the second I try typing something in the search bar of Google by going black. I can however right click and select "view page info" it works fine there after, as long as the page info window is up. It works fine in safe mode. I've tried: -Disabling all of my add-ons and plug-ins (etc). -Re-installing Firefox. -Uninstalling flash. -Updating plug-ins. -Restarting computer. -Scanning for malicious software
....and every combination I can think of and the window still goes black. I'm stumped. The only real clue I think I've got is when I reinstalled Firefox the first time I maintained all my personal settings and the screen when black like it normally does. However when I uninstalled Firefox and java and flash and did not save my personal settings the browser worked... but only for a little while after some activity.
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.
- Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"
Try to rename or delete the prefs.js file and possible numbered prefs-##.js files and a possible user.js file to reset all prefs to the default values.