No Search Engine
I had to do a Firefox reset which sis correct another problem. Now there is no search engine in the Search Bar (upper right). When I click the down arrow no search engine options appear. When I click MANAGE... there are no options for the common search engines (i.e Google etc.). Also in the process of trying to install a search engine add-on I somehow got the "Firefox Add-ons" icon installed in this box (tab). I'd like to remove it.
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.10.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 18.104.22.1688
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.0
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
I am not entirely sure what you have done. the Firefox reset should not remove the search engines.
Please post a screenshot, maybe that will help.
Make sure that the navigation toolbar is visible. (Could you be looking instead at the bookmarks toolbar ? )
- Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars
- or have some odd toolbar accidentally installed
Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page
When you do get back to normal (Which could involve another reset) the instructions for the search bar search engines are here:
I updated to version 18 and that fixed the problem.