Another site took over my home page, I have got the Google search home page now with the Firefox logo but all the tabs at the top of the page are missing
When I downloaded Java, the Funmoods took over the home page. I have now got Google Search with the Firefox logo as home page but all the usual Firefox tabs (tools, bookmarks, help, etc) are missing. How can I get them back? Very basic directions please, we seniors are not very computer savvy!
Close Firefox, then hold down the Shift button and double-click the Firefox icon to open it. Click the Reset firefox button.Read this answer in context 1
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.5
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
It sounds like you have a Third-Party Toolbar that has taken over your Search Engine, Home Page, and/or the Default New Tab Page. Fortunately this can be remedied easily:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP), and then click Add-ons. The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
- In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the Extensions panel.
- Select the toolbar you wish to remove.
- Click the Remove button.
- Click Restart now if it pops up. Your tabs will be saved and restored after the restart.
After Firefox restarts, install the Search Reset Tool. This will remove the rest of the traces of this program from your Firefox.
For further information, please read Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page.
Does this help your question? Let us know!
Thank you for your reply but I do not have any buttons at the top of the page, this is the problem with which I need help. All there is now is a tiny Firefox logo with the words 'Mozilla Firefox start page' then a cross which brings up a couple of bookmarked sites and other sites I visit frequently. Below this is the address bar and a Google search bar. I have tried System Restore but it won't even go back a couple of days, I just get error messages.
Thank you but it doesn't help me to get my buttons back at the top of the screen - this is what I need. I need a Tools button to be able to implement the suggestions I have received.
- Press the F10 key or tap the Alt key to bring up the "Menu Bar" temporarily if the menu bar is hidden.
- Use "Firefox > Options" instead of "Tools > Options" if the menu bar is hidden.
Make sure that toolbars like the "Navigation Toolbar" and the "Bookmarks Toolbar" are visible:
- Firefox > Options
- "View > Toolbars"
Open the Customize window to set which toolbar items to display:
- View > Toolbars > Customize
- Firefox > Options > Toolbar Layout
- Check that the "Bookmarks Toolbar items" is on the Bookmarks Toolbar
- If the "Bookmarks Toolbar items" is not on the Bookmarks Toolbar then drag it back from the toolbar palette in the customize window to the Bookmarks Toolbar
- If missing items are in the toolbar palette then drag them back from the Customize window on the toolbar
- If you do not see an item on a toolbar and in the toolbar palette then click the "Restore Default Set" button to restore the default toolbar set up
I have tried F10 and Alt - neither of which do anything. I have also updated Firefox and still can't get the buttons at the top of the page. I think I will have to go to a professional but thanks for trying to help.
Can you attach a screenshot?
Use a compressed image type like PNG or JPG to save the screenshot.
Sorry but I am not knowlegeable enough to enclose a screen shot, I have tried the keys you suggest but they do not have any effect. I use Windows XP and apparently this doesn't let me make screen shots. I will describe the page though: the page is white with a large Firefox logo in the centre and the Google search bar under it. At the bottom of the page it says Downloads, Bookmarks, History, Add-ons,Sync, Settings and Restore Previous Settings - each with a logo above. At the top of the screen, at the left is a tiny Firefox logo and Firefox start page with a cross that brings up some bookmarks and a couple of other sites. Below this, also at the left are the back and forward arrows, the address box and an Amazon search box. Strangely enough, the add-on of my country's flag which we could add during the Olympics is still visible. I don't know if this will help you to solve the problem. If I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, would I lose my bookmarked items and saved emails? I read that someone had done this after they accidentally got the Funmoods home page but the page was still there after the reinstall.
You should Reset Firefox, it will save all your personal data but should remove funmoods. Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems
I have removed all Funmoods data with a free malware device but I can't reset Firefox as there are no buttons to allow me to do this.
Close Firefox, then hold down the Shift button and double-click the Firefox icon to open it. Click the Reset firefox button.
Where would we little old grey-haired ladies be without helpful experts like yourself! It worked perfectly, All the buttons at the top of the screen are back. Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much!
Yes it got rid of the site in fact there was another add on I deleted which I never heard of too. I still can't find my original Home Page: it was a Google alternative. I thought I had save the link. It is ihome or something with an i at the start. I really like it too.
How does another site take over my home page? Is it something I did? It has never happened before.
Sorry, but I can't help. I only use Firefox and occasionally Internet Explorer. Hope someone else can offer a solutin.
The default home page that you get when you leave the home page field empty is the built-in about:home page.
- Tools > Options > General > Startup: Home page
Thanks for that, hope budieus can see the reply as they put their question among my replies. I am out of problems at present apart from hating the new Hotmail page.
I know that; my home page was set to "ighome". When I loaded FireFox my home page was changed to "MY Search". This happened also on IE 9 which I hadn't used for days.
Ok, I was a little confused too by the answer. I have it solved now but can't figure how it happened.
My home page has vanished a couple of times but have managed to get it back after using the Firefox Reset. It seems to me that a download often changes your homepage, NEVER download Funmoods - that is the one that caused me most trouble. Hope you page stays at the one you want.