How can I set a custom Home Page while ALSO having a New Tab be the default Mozilla Page?
Why is the "home Page" = to a New Tab page? Why are they linked. I want my.yahoo.com to be my Home Page (currently set properly) but my New Tab page seems to be set to "Conduit" and has a search bar. I have no idea where that came from or how it got set that way. I want to have my current Home Page but make any New Tabs be the Mozilla Default Page with a Google search bar. Is that possible? I am running on Windows XP.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Version 220.127.116.1112
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
So it looks like you have been infected with the Conduit virus. Do the following to fix and set your settings up properly.
Scan for malware: Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware
Reset Firefox: Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems
Then, to change the newtab URL, type about:config into your address bar, press Enter, then accept the warning. In the search, look for browser.newtab.url, and right click it, then click Modify. Set the URL to anything you want (Firefox's default home page is about:home if you want to use that)
See also this article about the New Tab page (about:newtab):
You can check for problems with preferences and try to rename or delete the prefs.js file and possible numbered prefs-##.js files and a possible user.js file to reset all prefs to the default values.