How do I open a new tab to a blank page, instead of home page?
Currently when I open a new tab, it opens to my home page. I would like a new tab to open to a blank page instead, is there any way to have this happen? I am currently running beta version of Firefox 18.0 on Windows 7
Chosen solutionby Tylerdowner
Type about:config into your address bar, press Enter. Accept the warning. Search for browser.newtab.url, right click it, and modify it to have the URL you want.Go to answer 16
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 188.8.131.52
- DivX Plus Web Player version 184.108.40.206
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Type about:config into your address bar, press Enter. Accept the warning. Search for browser.newtab.url, right click it, and modify it to have the URL you want.
doesn't work. I changed the value from about:newtab to about:blank and when I open a new tab it still opens up my home page. Am I changing the wrong item? Thanks.
See also this article about the New Tab page (about:newtab):
How are you opening as new tab? Are you clicking the plus button on the tab bar?
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
Modified by cor-el
If you are having trouble still, Reset Firefox, Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems, then try to edit the new tab again.
Thank you, Tylerdowner. A reset was all it took. Now I get the blank page I wanted. Thanks again.