Recently when I open a "New Tab" it displays a group of recently visited web sites rather than a "Search "box.
In the past, when I opened a "New Tab" I was presented with a search or query box from Google or Yahoo where I could type a question or website to which I would be directed. This no longer is a feature available to me.
Additional System Details
- Nitro PDF plugin for Firefox and Chrome
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Google Update
- A component of your photo software powered by RocketLife
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- Picasa plugin
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The Hulu Desktop Plugin allows Hulu.com to integrate with the Hulu Desktop application.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
The default behavior for Firefox is to open the new tab page you are describing. There isn't actually a feature that allows you to open a search page in the new tab. It sounds like you might have had an addon or changed some prefs before. I'd check to see if your addons are up to date if you used an add to perform this operation before. The other thing you could do is:
- go to about:config
- search for: browser.newtab.url
- change the value to about:home
Hopefully this helps!
You can put the Google home site back into a new tab by changing this setting in the about:config window:
- browser.newtab.url - change to about:home
Thanks to all !
See also this article about the New Tab page (about:newtab):