How to remove AVG Secure Search the manual way
There are so many useless replies in other postings that didn't work that I decided to write the manual method for removal. Wading thru a confusing pile of posts is absurd. I hope this posts makes it easier for people trying to remove it.
First, the removal tool at AVG Secure Search doesn't work. It is bs. They even say it may take multiple reboots before it is removed. That is absurd.
Here is manual removal method.
0) Take note of the exact day and time AVG was installed. Write it down.
1) Stop ?ToolBarUpdate process
2) Delete AVG Secure Search directory in
Program Files (86x) Program Files (86x)\Common ProgramData ProgramData\Common
3) Do a find in regedit. Delete any major entry containing "AVG Secure Search".
4) Search your local drive for any remaining file created around time that AVG program was installed. Look at properties attributes for the file. See if it is created by AVG. Delete it if so.
There may be an avg@toolbar directory left also.
5) You may as well remove anything in Firefox as well. Check the directories again 24 hours later to make sure the AVG Secure Search doesn't exist or didn't reinstall
You should be done
Additional System Details
A few times a week
This started when...
couple weeks ago
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.7.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 18.104.22.1686
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Google Update
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.1245
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
You will see AVG Secure Search tab appear in Firefox upon restart. I am running Windows 7.
>3) Do a find in regedit. Delete any major entry containing "AVG Secure Search".
there are a couple exceptions. One entry was regedit which i didn't delete and another related to search bars in firefox and I just deleted the specific entry.
hi there, i was having same problem with the secure search from AVG in my browser and i found this uninstall page with step by step instructions. i know that it wouldn't remove it from your pc, but i'm no pc expert to play with registry, i just wanted to remove it from the browser and it worked for me.