How do I get rid of 'start.search.us.com' always making itself my 'Home Page' on Firefox? And no, the obvious actions will not work.
I just installed WINDOWS 7. This problem is only on FireFoxm, not on IE or Chrome.
This should easily fix this issue and avoid too many steps:
Go to start, then Control Panel, then programs and features. Uninstall anything related to Mystart, start.com, etc. Anything that looks suspicious.
- MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
- TDSSKiller - AntiRootkit Utility
- Microsoft Security Essentials (A good permanent anti-virus if you don't already have one)
After doing all that, Reset Firefox. Firefox reset is the easiest and best way to fix nearly all problems in Firefox:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
I got it from updating to Firefox 15! I was ok, updated, and then had it. Resetting to factory default got rid of it. Thanks for that advice, Rod!Go to answer 4
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
This thread was recently brought to our attention. Anyone who would like to remove the Search.us.com toolbar, and reset their Firefox search engine, homepage, and tab settings to Firefox defaults can easily do so by downloading and running the free ResetBrowsers.exe utility from http://support.search.us.com/uninstall.php
Please contact us via the aforementioned page if you still need assistance.
You can also reset some preferences to the default with the SearchReset extension:
Note that the SearchReset extension only runs once and then uninstalls automatically, so it won't show on the "Firefox > Add-ons" page (about:addons).
Virus/malware link removed by moderator
Modified by Noah_SUMO