Firefox won't search if I type in a query into the address bar
Since the latest Firefox update (14.01 - I am not posting this from my own laptop so it will read as lower than 14.01) my Firefox browser will no longer search via Google (for example if I type in a place/company it doesn't bring up Google with search results).
I have looked for an tips/advice and found this question on the forum but now when I search it brings up the website that is the top result, and not Google itself.
Is this a glitch with the newest update? On this library computer which is 9.0.1 it doesn't have anything entered into the keyword.URL that is mentioned in the above link and it manages to search via Google just fine.
Is there anything else I need to do?
Additional System Details
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_30 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.2063
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.1
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
First, try to reset Firefox. Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems. This simple step will eliminate many Firefox problems with only one click.
A few other basic trouble shooting things you can try is this: Run all Windows Updates, install all needed service packs, etc.
Update your graphics driver (Firefox uses your graphics card for some rendering, and an out of date graphics card driver can cause problems. Upgrade your graphics drivers to use hardware acceleration and WebGL
Update all your plugins (Flash, Java, etc.): http://www.mozilla.org/plugincheck/.
Download and Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, run a full Scan. http://www.malwarebytes.org/. This helps check that there are no viruses on your computer causing issues. You can uninstall this program after you clean off any infections.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked