Remove AVG Search from Address Bar
I've seen a few posts about the AVG 2012 Search, but none match what I'm looking for.
My homepage is set to google.ca, and my quick search toolbar is set to google as well with all other search engines removed.
I didn't have this problem before until yesterday when I formatted my computer and re-installed everything.
If I type in the address bar terms to search, hit enter, it use to come up with a Google results page. Now when I type up there, hit enter I get an AVG secure search page powered by Google, and the address bar icon changes from a Google logo to AVG.
Only if I type in the address bar. When I open a new tab the cursor always defaults into the address window not the google search page so, always forget to click into the google page and type. In any case, if I search with the google search bar or on the google webpage it's fine, it's just if I type in the address bar and hit enter that I get this http://isearch.avg.com page.
Anyway to switch it back to google?
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
Fresh install Win7 yesterday
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_31 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 220.127.116.114
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Plugin for Wacom tablets.
- Wacom Dynamic Link Library
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.0.0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1
Win7 64bit, fresh install from a fully formatted disc, Firefox 10.0.1, AVG Internet Security 2012.
You should be able to fix this with the steps in the first section of What to do when searches take you to the wrong search website
Awesome, now it's working again...
I tried clicking default but it was greyed out and the value was just blank, but just tried http://google.ca/search?q= and gave it a test and it's back to normal.
I had AVG Secure Search take over my Google bar and homepage today. I uninstalled AVG from my sys, but it still shows in Firefox search bar, altho I reset my homepage as Speed Dial. Can't find it in registry. Not impressed - can you tell me how to rid Firefox of any AVG remnants?
Spent some time too and found that uninstalling it from Control Panel / Programs and Features works for me. (so far)
Here is what I just found to rid ourselves of this: