Firefox 8 is slow to show the web page when requested. If I hilite the address in the URL address line it usually downloads the info right away. I find this gets slowers as time goes on.
the browser is started home page loads up. but if I request to go to a web page it shows that the request is asking for my request in the new tab but it just sits there. If I go to the address HTTP bar and hit enter again I usually get the info right away
Modified by Calitiki
I have loved Firefox, but 8.0 is an abomination on loading. Half the time a blank screen comes up. Pages on amazon and newegg, among others stall out.
No problems with IE8 on same sites. I downgraded to FF 7.0.1 and same problem.
I just went back to 3.6.8. Guess what -- no problems. Someone has messed up big time with Firefox after 3.6.8. If you can't fix the problems and have security problems with 3.6.8, then maybe we may have to go back to IE (shudder). As it is, Firefox 8.0.1 is not workable and is toast for me until fixed.Read this answer in context 28
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 d202
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Google Update
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- WordCaptureX component for single click dictionary
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.1
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.0.0 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- MeadCo's Neptune
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
I down loaded Waterfox the 64 bit Firefox browser and it has solved the problems Thanks for all your help
SOLVED for me:
I had the same issue. Firefox 3.6 was just fine loading pages, switching between tabs, etc. Firefox 8 & 9 were just awful - not just page load speed, but switching between loaded tabs, accessing Firefox menus - everything was really poky.
I did an uninstall with RevoUninstaller, then made sure every trace of FF was gone, and then did a clean reinstall of FF 9.1 - still the same problem. FF 9 ran just fine in Safe mode, so I disabled all plugins, and no extensions were installed yet, but no difference.
Then I looked over Help/Troubleshooting from the FF 9 menu, and noticed that OpenGL might be enabled for faster graphics rendering. I know that other apps (Photoshop) can actually slow down if your video card doesn't fully support OpenGL acceleration.
So I looked in FF Options/Advanced and noticed under the General tab that hardware acceleration is checked by default. I UNchecked hardware acceleration and now it's back to normal - and somewhat faster than 3.6. YAY!
I'm not sure if my OpenGL theory is correct, but that fixed the slowness for me.
(running Windows 7 64-bit with a first generation AMD 64 X2 Dual Core; Nvidia Geforce 6800 video card)