Firefox freezes everytime I try to clear the search history.
It appears I somehow got upgraded to the newest version of firefox. And everytime I try to clear the history it freezes. Then I get errors... Something about a script... or the program will just say "not responding"
Can this be fixed? If not can I download an older version which worked?
Additional System Details
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- 3DVIA Player (22.214.171.124). For more information, visit the 3DVIA Player web site.
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- DivX Web Player version 126.96.36.199
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.1"
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Delivery Network Acceleration by BitTorrent™
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- DivX® Content Upload Plugin
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 188.8.131.52
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Are you clearing the cookies as well?
This problem can be caused by clearing the cookies via Remove recent browsing, search and download history.
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > Firefox will: "Use custom settings for history" > [X] Clear history when Firefox closes > Settings
- Firefox > History > Clear Recent History or Tools > Clear Recent History
Try to exclude the cookies to see if that helps.
If you use Remove recent browsing, search and download history to clear the cookies then Firefox also tries to clear the cookies from plugins like Flash and starts a plugin-container process for each plugin and possibly for each cookie (?) and that can add extra time if there are a lot of cookies to remove and also can cause an unresponsive script error to appear.
When I updated Firefox mine did the same thing until I updated Flash. Might want to make sure Flash is up to date and see if that fixes it
Very easy solution. When the clear recent history box appears, don't clear everything at once. I.E just clear browsing history first, then return to clear history and clear cookies and cache .....................
None of the above replies are useful, I'm afraid. I have updated to latest Firefox. I have latest Flash installed.
Never used to have problems with script hanging when more than one option was selected in Clear Recent History.
I can use OnyX to clear as many options as I want and it does it in a flash (no pun intended).
Try and do same from Firefox and it nips out to feast on a spinning pizza (read, hangs if you are not Mac-based).