Blurry text with hardware acceleration enabled.
Hi, Firefox folks.
My text (and edges of tabs) were blurry in Firefox 4.0.1 (32-bit), running on Windows 7 64-bit, with a Radeon HD 6670 with latest drivers: Catalyst 11.5, May 9, 2011. (I have no text problems at all with the latest Chrome or Internet Explorer 9.)
The problem immediately disappeared when I went to Firefox's Tools menu --> Options --> Advanced tab --> General subtab, and unchecked "Use hardware acceleration when available."
[I've edited out a "tip" of mine that I thought was working, but actually wasn't.]
I don't know how this will affect Firefox's speed, but at least I can properly read the text now.
I didn't have to disable Firefox 4.0.1 hardware acceleration with my old NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (which I was using on the same PC a few days ago), so this might be (at least partly) an AMD/ATI problem; I've notified them about this already.
So, either AMD/ATI needs to issue a patch, or Mozilla does, or both. Just thought you should know. Thanks for your time.
--Chaz Geary, St. Louis County, MO USA
Modified by email@example.com
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
I switched from a GeForce 9800 GT to an AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670.
- IE Tab Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- PopCap Games Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- DivX Web Player version 18.104.22.1680
- DivX OVS Helper Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
See above, please.
Some have reported that it helps to Turning off Morphological filtering in the Catalyst driver.