new tab shall focus search instead of address bar
when i open a new tab, i want firefox to focus search bar instead of address bar.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
- Displays PDF documents in the browser.
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- Picasa plugin.
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Wolfram Mathematica Plug-in for Netscape Browsers
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Plugin to display and edit chemical structures.
- Version 126.96.36.1999
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.4
- DivX Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- DivX OVS Helper Plug-in
- Mit dem QuickTime-Plug-In können Sie eine Vielzahl von Multimediainhalten auf Webseiten anzeigen. Für weitere Informationen besuchen Sie die QuickTime WWW-Seite.
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; de; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15
A couple suggestions. You can search via the address bar....Or you can click tab on your keyboard to very quickly go to the search bar.
Modified by Efreak
well it does not work well as in chrome: first it is not fast, becuase it is designed for address. second, i want to have google results and not a specific page.
I'm having the same problem. It would be nice to have the option to either have the address bar or current page active when opening a new tab.
After using Chrome for a long time then moving back to Firefox at work, I got annoyed enough at Firefox's default new tab behavior to write an add-on to fix this.
So here's the New Tab Searchbar addon. It's a tiny addon which makes new tabs focus on the search bar instead of the address bar.
Modified by gormless
Can u update the addon for FF13? Not working anymore...
Or how can I edit about:config to do it by myself?
Custom New Tab 1.6.3 add-on partially solves this for firefox 13 - if google is your home page then new tabs open with just the google page, and the focus in the search box.
BUT the first home page still puts the focus in the address bar. Totally maddening. Can't blame the Custom New Tab add-on, that is dealing properly with new tabs - its' the first tab that is the problem.
Firefox are arrogant time-wasters.