When I try to change my homepage it will not stay changed
I often when I open up Firefox I get taken to a searchqu homepage so I switch it to what I want and for a couple of my new homepage is what I switched to but then it goes back to the searchqu homepage. I use a updated Norton Internet Security 2010 and aside from the scans it does everyday I also do manual scans as well. How do I keep the homepage I want and get rid of this searchqu. I have never visited this website (the searchqu) website before and the only things I have downloaded are updates for my broweser and add ons.
Additional System Details
Not sure how often
This started when...
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 8.2.5
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 184.108.40.206
- Office Live Update v1.3
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- Version 1.0.5, copyright 1996-2010 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- Yahoo! activeX Plug-in Bridge
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Not sure what to put here.
I suspect you could have malware, or possibly an unwanted plugin or addon that is causing this. see
- What to do when searches take you to the wrong search website
- Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware
- (Changing homepage is covered by How to set the home page )
Changing the homepage itself is fairly easy, but from your message it appears the homepage changes back again. If the problem is just something unwanted it should be easy to remove, if it is malware it may be a bit trickier.
Start by trying in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode but when you do that do not make any changes initially when you see the first dialogue Window, just click on the continue button. It may help if you copy the URL of the new searchpage or new homepage that you are getting, or does that keep changing ?
Sorry I have not responded I tried your suggestion and that did not work plus tried downloading other internet utilities in the attempt to remove possible mallware on top of the up to date Norton Internet Security software I already use and none of that seems to work either. Any other ideas?
Are you able to answer the question about the URL that is now appearing as your homepage, are you able to copy that from the location bar.
- use Ctrl L, Ctrl C, Ctrl V, to copy and paste the information into a message.
Have you tried resetting the HomePage, as explained in the article How to set the homepage Does the homepage reset. Have you tried setting Firefox to open a blank page.
What happens if you try to use a search engine directly, such as Google
Modified by John99
OK here goes I am not sure what I mean by question but here is what happens when I open Firefox I get the following url and homepage http://www.searchqu.com. Now I want http://ca.my.yahoo.com/ to be my home page so I hit a bookmark where that is the url and once that page is loaded I drag and drop that to over the home part of the browser. Now sometimes it allows me to get the yahoo page as a homepage if I hit home but other times it reverts back to the searchqu page. I hope this anmswers and provides you with more info.
I suspect this is either malware or related to a malware problem.
Two other threads I have found mention malware scans and one mentions resetting one of your preferences. (But possibly if malware is involved, then any preference change may prove temporary) See