Issues with TOR and Firefox
Hello, I am attempting to use a combination of Vidalia and the Torbutton Firefox extension to access the Tor network. However, every time I do, Firefox refuses to load any pages, stating that it is connected to a proxy that is refusing connections. My operating system is Ubuntu 10.04. Any help with this problem would be appreciated. Sincerely, Joe
Every time Firefox opened
Additional System Details
- -The IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.8 (6b18-1.8-0ubuntu1)) executes Java applets.
- The Totem 2.30.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- DivX Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20100628 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.6
Open Containing Folder
Ubuntu Firefox Modifications
I use Tor/Vidalia/Torbutton/Polipio regularly. When I get this message, it is because I am trying to browse normally with the Torbutton enabled (green, Tor is "on") -
Or, I am trying to browse using Tor, it's turned on but Vidalia is not running in the background. If you installed Vidalia so that it does not automatically start when you start Windows, you must manually launch it (I use Start>Program Files>Vidalia Bundle>Vidalia). Give it a few seconds to get connected and then Firefox should work with the TorButton enabled.
In case you do not know, Vidalia launches Tor, and will report if there are any problems with it.
The documentation, tips, FAQs, help, advice and general availability of any practical knowledge on how to use these features is extremely poor, for reasons I am currently being made aware of. Because of this, I am considering starting a Discussion Forum focused primarily on helping people make use of this anonymous browsing technology.
If anyone is interested in assisting with this effort, or has helpful advice, etc... feel free to e-mail me at quickdxtjohnatgmaildxtcom