Use the Adobe Reader plugin to view or download PDF files
Adobe Reader is a free program for viewing and printing PDF documents.
It includes an Adobe Acrobat browser plugin for displaying PDF documents within Firefox and other Web browsers. (By default, Firefox uses its built-in PDF Viewer.) This article provides resources for setting up Adobe Reader and the browser plugin on your computer.
Table of Contents
Installing and updating Adobe Reader
To install Adobe Reader, please visit the Adobe.com website. To make sure your installation of Adobe Reader includes the latest available security and stability updates, open Adobe Reader, click on the menu and then click .
Adobe does not yet maintain a browser plugin for viewing PDF files in Firefox on Mac OS X; instead, you can use the built-in PDF Viewer.
Testing the Adobe Reader plugin
If you are unable to view PDFs in the Firefox window, see the following for troubleshooting instructions:
Viewing PDF files outside of Firefox
You can set Adobe Reader not to open PDF files within Firefox.
- Open Adobe Reader.
- At the top of the Adobe Reader window, click the menu, and select , to open the Preferences window.
- In the left pane of the Adobe Reader Preferences window, select the section.
- Uncheck Display PDF in browser.
You can set Firefox to open PDF files outside of Firefox instead of using the built-in PDF viewer:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button and then select At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and then select On the menu bar, click on the menu and select At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . menu and select
- Select the panel.
- Find Portable Document Format (PDF) in the list and click on it to select it.
- Click on the drop-down arrow in the Action column for the above entry and select Use Adobe Reader (default).
- Click to close the Options windowClick to close the Preferences windowClose the Preferences window .
Uninstalling Adobe Reader
The Adobe support site has these instructions for uninstalling Adobe Reader:
Based on information from Adobe Reader (mozillaZine KB)
Share this article: http://mzl.la/Miw0Ix